Monday, February 24, 2014

Grateful for Sleep!

I've been sitting on this blog post for awhile, almost afraid to post it because I don't want to jinx the unqualified success of LB's transition to the big boy bed.  Now that it has been nearly 3 months and he's still sleeping through the night -- yes you read that right -- HE IS SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!! -- I thought it would be safe to post this.

Just two nights before Thanksgiving, LB figured out how to climb out of his crib.  He was 20 months old at the time, a few months younger than when his big brother accomplished this feat, but in our house, once the baby can climb out of the crib, the big boy bed becomes a necessity.  I'd rather throw some pillows on the floor next to the twin bed than have any crib-climbing related injuries on my conscience.

We weren't exactly prepared for this to happen so quickly, but we decided to roll with it.  Thankfully, we already had the twin bed and mattress he would be using.  We just needed to move that into his room, do some rearranging and get him a new dresser.  The process started first thing in the morning.

LB was pretty excited about the whole thing, especially the disassembly of his crib... 


He helped us carry the crib pieces out of his room.


He cuddled up with his big brother for a little snuggling on his new mattress.


And he was the first one to climb into his bed once the new sheets were on (I wanted to decorate his room in a sports theme and I hit the jackpot when I got the very last set of twin-sized flannel sports sheets at Kohl's).


He immediately snuggled onto his pillow and smiled. 


That night, we put him to bed and he did great.  He was anxious to sleep in his new bed and he slept all night long. Didn't wake up once and didn't get out of bed at all.  I woke up refreshed and rested and only a little bit nervous about how long he had slept (11 hours, which is totally within his 10-12 hour limit).  He has proceeded to sleep through the night just about every night since. 

Sometimes he'll stir at night and yell out for me.  I'll go in and untangle him from his sheets or re-tuck him in and he'll drift right back to sleep.  Usually, he says "thank you, Mommy" when I do.  Most nights, he just sleeps, though.  It's incredible. 

We've waited nearly two years for this to happen and now that it has, I feel like we've reached another milestone in our MCADD journey.  It is nice to know that he's getting a good night of rest because I know his body needs it.  It's nice to be able to put him to sleep and not worry about sleeping through a feeding alarm because I'm so tired that my body won't listen to them anymore.  The whole family is getting rest and we are one happy household now that we are meeting our sleep quotient.  We're even making up for the lost sleep of the last two years.  Hooray!!

No comments:

Post a Comment