Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Hospital Bag Unused

LB threw up this morning.  Fun stuff.  I had just taken him for a haircut (which he sat very still and quietly for, I might add) and I was buckling him into his car seat when he started to gag a bit.  I asked if he was ok and then he vomited.  Three times.  Once on himself and twice in projectile form into my car and my hair.  He hasn't been sick so my suspicion was that maybe he had a piece of hair from his haircut in his throat and gagged on it enough that it made him throw up. Let's hope that's what it was.  Having it be a flu or a virus would be much more of a worry.

I fetched the roll of paper towels out of the trunk and tried to clean the two of us up the best I could.  I didn't bother with the car.  That could wait for later.  I called my husband on the way home to tell him what had happened and so that he would be prepared for us to come home covered in vomit with a car that needed to be cleaned and aired out.  He agreed that he probably just had some hair in his throat and agreed to meet us in the driveway when we got home.  When we arrived, my husband launched into the car and car seat cleaning, while I handled the cleaning of the boy (and myself -- my hair was pretty stinky by then). 

Our plan for the day was to take LB for his haircut and then head out to a birthday party for my friend's boys at lunchtime.  We had been looking forward to the party for awhile now and although I really wanted everyone to be able to go, we were worried about LB and whether this vomiting incident would repeat itself.  Probably the worst place to be with a vomiting kid is at someone's birthday party, right?  We decided to try to feed LB a good snack and see how he did.  If he kept it down, we could probably go to the party.  If he didn't, we talked through a couple scenarios of who would stay and who would go. 

An hour later, he was fine.  No more vomiting. No signs of illness whatsoever, so we decided to go to the party as a family and just keep a close eye on LB.  We also decided to pack a hospital bag, just in case, so that we wouldn't have to backtrack all the way to our house if he did need to go to the hospital.  Thankfully, he did great at the party and that hospital bag went unused.  I'm glad we were prepared, but I'm also really glad this was just another "kid thing" as opposed to an "MCADD thing."  We've been very fortunate that he's been so healthy lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment